Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Sunflower Butter instead of Peanut Butter

It wasn't until I enrolled my first child into preschool when I was introduced to sunflower butter. Peanut butter and products were banned at our first preschool due to allergies of other students. After a look of panic, the owner suggested sunflower butter as a substitute. I had never heard of it.  We tried it and like it.

Fast forward three years, sunflower butter and jelly sandwiches are a staple. It is great for airplane travel as it is so hard to find Ethan-friendly food at airports. When we do go out to eat (which rarely happens), it is our back up food in case the restaurant cannot accommodate Ethan's needs. I send it in lunches for my school-age kids even though they don't have allergies (peanut butter is allowed in the lunchroom but not in certain classrooms). Primarily, I do it out of respect for others who have peanut allergies. I cannot imagine sending a child to school wondering if their EpiPen will get used that day when a simple substitution would make everything better. No recipe this time. Enjoy a few photos from our June trip to California.

(There are a few brands of sunflower butter.  I've found the Sunbutter brand to be at most stores near me. Also, you can make your own.)

Eating plums right off the trees!

Visiting one of many wonderful parks.

Touring Google's campus.

Trying to find Nemo.

No comments:

Post a Comment