Sunday, May 5, 2013

Guacamole Bean Dip

Trying to get my oldest two children to eat legumes (a great source of protein, iron, fiber, and other nutrients) has been a challenge lately.  Besides our hummus and chili soup recipe, my previous recipes have been met with resistance.  After some searching, I saw a post about adding beans to foods kids already like.  This is a challenge since they don't seem to like the same foods most of the time.  Since two of them love guacamole and all three like salsa, I gave it a whirl.  While I was skeptic as I puréed another round of beans, the kids devoured the entire pie plate of dip with chips (I may have helped a bit).  Since one child does not like guacamole I put it on half the dish.  What a great dish to come together on Cinco de Mayo!

Ingredients
1 15 ounce can canellinni beans (Eden Organic is bpa free) or 1 3/4 cups cooked
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
Guacamole (we love Wholly Guacamole), to taste
Pico de Gallo or salsa, to taste

Directions
(Drain and rinse canned beans.) Purée cooked beans in blender or stick blender adding in lemon juice and salt.  Spread onto serving dish.  Layer guacamole on top.  Sprinkle with salsa.  It's that simple!

Ratings:
5 out of 5 family members love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment