Thursday, August 22, 2013

Chunky Banana Blast Smoothie

I've been reading the book "What's Eating Your Child: The Hidden Connection Between Food and Childhood Ailments," by Kelly Dorfman. It's been an fascinating read teaching me more and more about macronutrients and micronutrients our bodies need.  As I read the chapter about picky eaters and did a quick search of foods high in zinc, I realized my children probably aren't getting enough. While I love lentils and legumes, both good sources of zinc, I have to sneak these foods into their diet.  (Lentil granola bar recipe coming soon!) Fortunately, roasted pumpkins seeds are high in zinc. Unfortunately, 2 out of 3 kids do not like to eat them whole so we tried the smoothie route.  Enjoy!

Ingredients
1 cup plant-based milk
1 cup water
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon sunflower butter
1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
2 frozen bananas (or 2 room temperature with added ice)
1/2 to 1 ounce leafy greens, optional (just enough so they can't taste the greens)

Directions
Place all in a blender or Vitamix.  Blend until smooth.  It's that simple!  I usually divide this into 3 servings.

Ratings
5 out of 5 family members love it!  The kids request this over and over.





2 comments:

  1. Ok...the recipe seemed a little gross, but if all 5 of you loved it, it must be good! I need to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bananas dominate the taste for me. Is it the greens in the smoothie that sound gross? You really can't taste them. I try to sneak in as many greens into whatever smoothie I can for them.

      Delete