Sunday, November 9, 2014

Chickpea Veggie Burger (WFPB, Vegan, Gluten-free)

My family is so good about sending me links to recipes they love as several members of my extended family are trying their best at adopting a whole foods plant-based lifestyle.  My little sister sent me this Chickpea Veggie Burger recipe.  I was skeptical as we have tried so many, many veggie burger recipes over the past year.  They were all ok but the kids did not like them.  Now, this one is by far the best veggie burger recipe we have tried to date.  The kids will eat this is in a wrap with plant-based ranch and greens.

Ingredients
1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and mashed (or 1 1/2 cups cooked)
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 small zucchini, grated
3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro (still as delicious without the cilantro in my opinion)
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 to 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce (kids and I like it with 1/2, husband likes it with full tablespoon)
2 tablespoons sunflower butter or peanut butter
1 teaspoon cumin, ground
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup quick oats

Directions
Preheat oven to 400ºF.  Mash chickpeas before adding remaining ingredients to bowl.  Mix well. Form 6-8 patties.  We have found that baking them in the oven works best for keeping them together. Place patties on silicon baking mat or parchment paper.  Bake for 10 minutes on each side.  

No comments:

Post a Comment