Sunday, November 9, 2014

Slow Cooker Red Lentil Soup (WFPB, Vegan, Gluten-free)

Another family share recipe, this time from my sister-in-law, Katie.  I love the simplicity of this Slow Cooker Red Lentil Soup so had to try it.  What I wasn't prepared for was my children devouring it! They cleaned their bowls.  Now the taste is pretty heavy on the tomato so I added plenty of the healthy amazing vegan cheese to it and some chopped up spinach for my serving.  They ate it with a little bit of Daiya and some tortilla chips broken up into it.  All gave a thumbs up! I substituted shredded sweet potatoes for the carrot (one child is not a carrot fan) and omitted the basil (we were out). Still a huge success!

Ingredients
2 cups dried red lentils
32 ounces low sodium oil-free vegetable broth
3 carrots, cut into chucks or 2 cups shredded sweet potato
1 15 ounce can dice tomatoes
4 ounce tomato paste
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
Place all ingredients in slow cooker for 8-10 hours on low and 4-5 on high.

No comments:

Post a Comment