Thursday, May 10, 2012

Garbanzo & Kale Tacos

Thank you to Sarah for sharing her friend's blog and recipe with me!  These did turn out very tasty.  I used the leftover kale water, which is filled with nutrients, instead of the garbanzo bean liquid.  The kid tacos had vegan cheese while the adults did not.  My other two did not like it probably due to the amount of kale I used.  We will definitely try it again!
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 bunch kale or other cooking greens, with 1/3 cup liquid retained after cooking
1 (15 ounce) can or 1 1/2 cups of garbanzo beans, cooked
Water for sautéing
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup carrots, diced or julienne
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 (8-inch) flour tortillas


Directions:
Cook greens in a large sauce pan of salted boiling water for 6 minutes or until tender.  Reserving 1/3 cup of liquid, drain, chop and set aside the greens.  Heat small amount of water in large sauce pan over medium-high heat.  Add red pepper and garlic; sauté briefly.  Add beans, reserved kale liquid, carrots, spices, and salt; bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until carrots are tender.  Uncover, increase heat, cook 3 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.  Stir in kale; cook 2 minutes.  Warm tortillas, spoon mixture evenly onto tortillas.

Nutrition Information:
1 serving (1/4 mixture, no wrap or cheese):  160 calories, 23g carbs, 6g fat, 8g protein, 6g fiber, 13 mg iron

Rating:
3 out of 5 family members liked it

Food Allergy/Intolerance Notes:
I have searched and searched for tortillas that we can all eat.  Most seem to contain soy oil.  Cedar's is the only brand I can find so far.  They use palm oil.  Plus, we all like them.


2 comments:

  1. So glad you tried and liked the recipe, and that it was (mostly) compatible with your allergy concerns! I had to cringe at the ketchup thing, but I know you can't win all those battles. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't a believer but I tried it and loved it! Carrots weren't available so bamboo shoots were used which I prefer anyway and it was Tasty with a capital T! I'm a convert.

    ReplyDelete