Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dynamite Dairy-Free Ranch

Since sharing our food allergy/intolerance journey with family, friends, and acquaintances, I am amazed at the number of people who open up about their journeys with food.  I have had the opportunity to hear remarkable stories involving precocious puberty, airborne food allergies, and learning disabilities.  While some can only be managed, it is astonishing to me when removing certain foods appears to eliminate the symptoms.  The past two years has been such an education!  If I was still a practicing school psychologist, one of my first steps after getting a referral on a child would involve a diet questionnaire.

One of these food warrior family members (my term for these amazing families), mentioned a recipe for dairy-free ranch.  Once again, I found myself wondering why hadn't I thought of going dairy-free with ranch.  My older kids love it but I have had to keep it away from Ethan.  After some recipe research, I tried this one.  Wow, we all love it!  I am not much of a ranch user but this recipe has me hooked.  You can add in the full amount of rice milk/lemon juice mixture to make it a dressing or a lesser amount to make it a dip.  I put in 1/2 the amount of dill as it was a little strong for me.  Enjoy!

Ingredients
1 cup vegan mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice + enough rice milk to equal 1/2 cup (7 1/2 tablespoons)
1/2 teaspoon dried chives
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions
Mix lemon juice and rice milk.  Let sit for 10 minutes.  Whisk together mayonnaise and seasonings.  Slowly whisk in rice milk lemon juice mixture until you reach your desired consistency (full amount is very runny).  Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes prior to serving.

Rating:
5 out of 5 family members love it!

Food Allergy/Intolerance Notes:
We have had success with the Earth Balance product line for soy-free vegan mayonnaise.





No comments:

Post a Comment